Monday, August 11, 2014

devonté hynes: a dedication


 
Source: ohsofreshmusic.com

Born in the States (though I  suspect it may have been Mars since this beautiful man is otherworldly in the best sense) but raised overseas in the UK, 28 year old "Dev" Hynes is a gem, a true unique icon in his own right. Not only is he an indie, synth, disco R&B singer/songwriter, producer, composer, AND author, but to some--especially me--he may also be considered a role model as he crosses over into fashion and worldly matters brilliantly and cooly. All of which are things that contribute to his style- a funky, retro vibe with every drop of sophistication and individuality and perfection. I mean just look at the way he's gripping that gate, leaning as he stands on one foot. This man is the definition of cool. 

Source: tumblr.com

Source: ryot.org

    How I met Mr.Hynes

I don't know about you guys, but I have to say I went through the major brunt of my "teen emo/angst" period in middle school oddly enough? Idk, I'm still a teenager so that may change. But during those middle-schooly years is when new music really began to become something that could draw me in, excite me, and really leave an impact on me, and this boy beauty Dev Hynes was at the forefront of this individual REVOLUTION of sorts...
Actual depiction of what my revolution of self-discovery looked like, not to be mistaken for the French Revolution.

 "Sutphin Boulevard" is this funky, deliberate, crystallizing delivery of a song enclosed in gritty, dirty vibes , fierce melody, and dreamy vocals. In all of his songs, but especially this one, Dev masters the art of bringing the vintage past into the present. So throughout this dedication, I share with you wonderful babes some of my favorite Dev tunes, and while you're listening, try not to get distracted by how perfect his style is (like I was):P

Dev at Coachella 2014. Photo by Pooneh Ghana (STUNNING music photography)

On the streets of Toronto. Photo by Matt Adam


"Dev Hynes and More at Suzanne Geiss Company's Blasting Voice" by Rebecca Smeyne


Dev Hynes for Dazed & Confused. Photo by Aaron Stern
"I'm such a strong believer in making yourself happy. Almost in a selfish way. There are a lot of trends, and obviously you can get swept up into them. But I feel like if you just write songs you love, it can have trap beats in it or whatever's going on in the moment, but you don't stop loving songs."
Photo by Stacey Mark
Source: theguardian.com
"I'll never let you go.." What I love about "Champagne Coast" (besides the name--how classy!) is the complete story it tells both lyrically and musically, and this rework by Clock Opera just adds a whole new, tantalizing dimension to it. Lyrically and atmospherically, it gives off a sort of sensual air, filled with intensity and racing hearts, and it takes your mind to a whimsical place--the perfect song for a sneaky, night adventure <3
Source: tumblr.com
I've mentioned this song "Bad Girls" in a previous "Dedication" post about Tavi where, amidst my sarcastic narcissism,  I described how it evokes more than one sense. Really, ALL of Dev's songs have this pattern, and I realized this could be attributed to Dev's diagnosis of synesthesia. For those who may not know, synesthesia is a condition in which one sense is simultaneously perceived by one or more additional senses. In this interview with Interview Magazine, Dev reveals that his sight and audition senses are linked together which allows him to see sounds! No wonder he's so stellar at what he does.

Dev Hynes is more than enough :)
xx Kaylee

4 comments:

  1. Dev Hynes is the first male style icon I have ever encountered, i genuinely want his wardrobe (especially his hats!) I like what you said about him bringing the vintage past into the present, you can hear it in his music and see it in his videos too. It's such a shame what happened to him and his girlfriend at Lollapalooza the other day. He is a true individual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I may have to fight you for his wardrobe though lol Like you said, he's a true style icon. And I know :( With recent events, I only hope the best for Dev and his girlfriend, especially considering how respectable and humble he always is.

      Delete
  2. Love this so much! I have such a deep love and admiration for Dev Hynes, what he means as a musician, a black icon, a style icon, everything! He's such in inspiration and a refreshing change from some of the current, slowly but surely wearing, trends in mainstream music. Also I watched Palo Alto recently and I'm STILL obsessed with the soundtrack (finding out he scored it when I first watched the trailer eons ago was half the reason I watched it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! <3 You've taken the words right out of my mouth! I really like how you also mention him as a black icon because that he certainly is. And omg I know! I've yet to watch Palo Alto but the main reason why I would want to is to hear Dev's score

      Delete