Tuesday, February 3, 2015

the good ol' tube



 Not this kind.



I'm talking about TeLeViSiOn! Just the word television sounds like something of another, far-off dimension. It's the mysterious, cool teleporter to things like smutty reality shows, classic feel-good movies, the deterioration of the Disney Channel, and my new obsession, Sex and the City-the thing I watch when I know I should be studying for the ACT or some shit. The year I was born (shoutout to my '98 babes) shared the birth of Sex and the City, a show about four 30-40 something year old, funny women navigating through sex, love, and their careers in New York City. So it was only natural that this caught the attention of 10 year old me. Was it the fast paced city I always envisioned? Or was it the foreign  "big, adult sexy themes" that appealed to my ever wondering mind and made me linger on it secretly at night before flipping to THE REAL Disney Channel. I'd say it's a little mix of both. 

It's so weird and maybe relieving how I can easily identify parts of myself in Samantha, Carrie, Miranda, and Charlotte. Carrie's working my dream job as a journalist and shoe connoisseur,  freely expressing herself and writing for publications like Vogue. Ultimately, I'd like to get married someday and have my own family like Charlotte, and I can be very blunt like Samantha; I see my open mindedness in her. And when I'm not spilling something at least once a day or awkwardly doing something to make someone laugh I'd like to think I embody Miranda's wit and certainly her independence. In the past few weeks since I've officially met them, I feel like I've just become one with them. 

The show may get a bad wrap in regards to feminism, and I can see why some people may automatically jump to that conclusion. The show's main focus for these women is on finding a man or on trying to maintain/analyze the relationship with whomever they're dating or having sex with. At times it does itch at my girl power psyche because it can feel like that's literally the only thing they care about, even though I know that's not true. But I think the exact reason for why the show may seem, "anti-feminist" is also where I find layers of feminism smartly woven in. These women are recognizing and exercising their right and power to freely express their sexuality and to not be ashamed of it. It's like women are damned if they say "I'm independent okay I don't need a man!" because then all of a sudden they're secretly bitter and are lying because how could ANY woman not want the IMMORTAL, SOUL-CRUSHING, PRAISE GAWD gift of a MAN?
Then we're damned if we want to seek a relationship because then we become "too dependent" and suddenly "desperate". I think being so unabashed and confident and uncaring of this plaguing stigma shows certain strength in these women. Plus, they're a band of four different women who still value their close bond over all else. How could I criticize that?


  
The show instantly became a classic that garnered a cult following and an eternal stamp on American culture, TV, and film. Sex and the City is just one of those shows (i.e the fresh prince, daria, freaks and geeks, boy meets world, bad girls club--those kind of shows) that if someone asks me about it or references it in conversation, my immediate first line (before I divulge into my fangirling) is "ugh it was suuuuch a good SHOWWWWW." And 10/10, it still is. BECAUSE ITS JUST SO QUOTABLE.







UGH AIDAN





A funky, techy song by Wild Nothing that gives off nostalgic vibes of the transition from the late '90s to the early 00s and sounds like an intro to the internet age-- how discovering the ancient dinosaur America Online must have felt like for Carrie Bradshaw in this episode. 


xx
Kaylee

No comments:

Post a Comment