Thursday, February 19, 2015

the great gras


Hey yall! Mardi Gras is a holiday that isn't celebrated in a lot of places, but in the south along the gulf coast and probably in France Mardi Gras is a crazy huge deal. Parades run rampant filled with revelers ready to dance and throw/catch beads, glow sticks, teddy Bears, moon pies, and other festive trinkets. I'm not the biggest on Mardi Gras, but every year my town has a night parade and anything that involves thousands of lights and a moon overhead draws me to it. So me and my friend went on down this past Friday the 13th for a night that would definitely go down as one of the spookiest of our Mardi Gras break.

The sky earlier that day 

The sky that evening, transformed into something completely heavenly 

Before the official parade started with all of the big floats, there was a string of sports cars that led the way, and they were c l a s s y. Each one made me want to hop in them and toss thousand dollar bills (they make those, right?) out the car window


 "Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. " We've just finished reading The Great Gatsby in English so you could say I'm inspired. Though I'd already seen the movie, the book revealed Fitzgerald's utterly beautiful wording and imagery that I think justifies the novel's classicism. 




Okay this is lowkey cheesy BUT I got this poster when I was 5, and it's been taped to the back wall of my closet ever since. A few nights ago as I was attempting to clear my closet, I separated my hangers to find this poster still there. With most Mardi Gras events/parades there's a queen and king so I thought this poster was fitting, but even more than that, this poster just struck me as impressively deep for a Disney princess poster. I didn't think much of it when I was 5, but in hindsight, I'm smiling at the innocent good vibes this probably brought to me way back when. 



A traditional part of the night parade is this assembly of rockette-esque mystical, gypsy-like women, and men with huge stalks of flowers that they hand out to the ladiez at the parade. After one of them hands you a flower, he will joyously wish you a happy Mardi Gras and/or pat their cheek for a kiss but that part is completely optional. They're always really cool and understand everyone's comfort level, so it's always just a rush of good vibes every which way you turn. After we were done with the parade, we left to fetch food and head to the beach, but we ended up getting lost driving down some sketchy back road leading to a bayou and every little thing just became x10 creepier!!! This is suffice to say that I've never wolfed down a thing of mozzarella sticks and sonic chicken tenders faster in my life.



a badass candid I recently found that was taken about a month ago in new orleans, the epicenter/Mecca for Mardi Gras where the good times really roll. Also shoutout to fancymuffin for the rad t-shirt they sent me that I'm wearing in this photo!



If you ever get a chance to celebrate Mardi Gras you totally should. It's all about green purple and gold in the air, an all around festive time, and tiny babies in king cakes, and what's better than that?


goo goo ga ga goo
(baby for see ya later)


xx
Kaylee

4 comments:

  1. omg i wish i celebrated mardi gras now, it all sounds really chill and fun. also loving the sunset pictures!

    badsass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! It really is as fun as it sounds! There's never a dull moment and if there is, you're at the wrong parade

      Delete
  2. the great gatsby has to be the first novel I have ever fully understood (imagery/character/themes-wise) so so beautiful. wish we had mardi gras parades in England, we just gorge on pancakes! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! Just today a few people were ragging on the great Gatsby and I almost beat them up. I admit I didn't want to initially give in to the hype, but that book just sparkles

      Delete